Thursday 5 April 2007

I kissed dating goodbye!

I became curious as to where I should stand with regards to dating. It was clear to me that I couldn't have a physical relationship with a man but I wanted to know what the alternative was. I found out very quickly that a relationship with a man who was not a Christian was out of the question. I asked a woman from the church for advice and she recommended I read a book called ‘I Kissed Dating Goodbye’ by Joshua Harris. When I started to read it I realised that the author, who is a young American guy, was suggesting that Christians shouldn’t date at all, and that they shouldn’t even kiss! He recommended people meet and go out together in groups, and get to know one another properly before even thinking about being together. I thought this was ridiculous, but as is my habit, I continued to read the book and see if I could get something out of it. By the time I finished it, I found (to the amusement of my friends) that I agreed with a lot of what it said and decided that this was for me! The idea of not having to meet someone, date for a while, find out that we are not suited and then go through the unpleasantness of breaking the relationship appealed to me. What a relief! I was happy to go along with this train of thought but knew that the proof of the pudding would be in the eating, so to speak, and I would have to wait and see!

No comments: