Wednesday 4 April 2007

Lacey

Lacey was, at that time, a sixteen-year-old girl in Mississippi. From what I remember, she was saved at twelve and developed a serious illness when she was thirteen. I was told she almost died the year before, after an operation, and has been in and out of hospitals before and since. When I got to the States she was very ill and had just arrived home from a recent stay in hospital. I got a chance to meet Lacey in her home. She was on morphine to keep the pain under control and as she was lying on the sofa, I knelt down in front of her. I thought she was the closest thing to an angel on earth. She is a very beautiful looking girl and she seemed to be transparent. I chatted for a short time and Clark asked me to pray. I looked at him and I panicked and said “No” then I looked at Lacey and just knew that I had to. At this point of my new life I don’t think I had prayed for anyone out loud. I hadn’t time to think. I held Lacey by the hand and so I prayed, out loud. I stumbled and mumbled a prayer of sorts. I haven’t a clue what it sounded like. I can scarcely remember what I said I was that shocked, because when I looked up she was crying and the tears were falling down her face. I stood up and muttered something about Sean needing me and left the house.

I met her again in hospital, and again, and again. I had the chance to see and watch how she and her family, as Christians, coped with her illness and most of all with her pain. They never blamed God. They never reproached their Father for allowing this. They knew it was happening for reasons and that God was in control. They prayed with her and even Lacey said she didn’t mind so long as God was working good out of it. This is where I learned the meaning of (and indeed put it to use with regards to going to court over Sean’s access) Romans 8: 28. ‘And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose’ and James 2: 2&3. ‘Count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience’.

No comments: